Wednesday, November 30, 2016

"Blue Poppy" from Inklings by Tanya Bond


I haven't been coloring as much as I want to at the moment, but I have managed to finish this lovely page from Inklings by Tanya Bond.

As soon as I saw the page and the name I knew I had to do something with blue. I don't use enough blue in my colorings as I should, so this was the perfect opportunity for me.
I also knew that I didn't want to use too many different colors. I wanted the page to be in harmony. I wanted it to be soft and calm to look at. Therefore I chose a warm purple to compliment the very cool blue.

I had a hard time to decide on her hair. Did I want to make it grey or really dark brown? I went with the brown as you see. Was it the right choice? I think so.

The background turned out just as I hoped for! I used four different shades of my Derwent Pastel Pencils (Soft Violet, Burgundy, Cornflower Blue and Prussian Blue) and I blended with a paper stump. I haven't applied fixative yet, because that sometimes makes the colors more vibrant and I wanted it to be soft.

Want a tutorial on pastel pencil backgrounds?

No comments :

Post a Comment